This one's for Grandpa

Sunday, July 04, 2004

Happy 4th!

Well, it has been a lovely day so far. Yesterday, Annie came over as the party began (she just returned from Colorado, so it was great to see her) and then we went out and got some fireworks, Eric, and some yummy food from a local farm. We kinda hung out around the house, chatted with people, and then went over to see the fireworks in Downingtown. Chris, Peter, Eric, Annie, and I slept outside in a tent in Peter's backyard after a swim in Peter's pool. It was a great night to be sleeping outside. Got up this morning and packed up, Peter brought me home and now Paul and I are watching Shawshank Redemption.

I've been thinking a lot about all the stuff you've been posting, Jack, as well as Michael Moore and the upcoming election. I think the thing that bothers me most is the kind of snide sarcasm that is used by both sides to degrade the other. Honestly, anything that promotes free thought is worth my time, no matter what kind of ideas it promotes. Moore's movie inspired me because it made me think and, while I am aware of bias in the film, there are things in the film that disturb me and cannot be slanted. For example, Bush saying to a reporter, "I am a war president" is not something that Moore has manipulated, that is what Bush said, and honestly, I do not want a president representing my country that considers himself war-minded. Moore's film is making people think - just think of all the articles, editorials, and other things that are out, either supporting or refuting the film - for those who are willing to take it, there are amazing amounts of things to learn from other people that would not have come out without this movie. That says something to me. People react to Moore, make them talk, make them THINK, and that is what is important to me. While I do think that he is a bit extreme (at least for my tastes, calling for the impeachment of Bush and saying that Gore is the "president in exile" is a bit much), I still appreciate the spirit of questioning - he's not afraid to state his opinion, and I respect that. It is up to the listener to discern what should be taken as fact, and that is a personal task each of us must face, as responsible citizens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home