This one's for Grandpa

Monday, January 24, 2005

TURKEY

Well, I've informed everyone by now and we've all discussed it at length, but I think it's still worthy of a post...

THE TURKEY.

I was out visiting some friends in Pittsboro this weekend (basically country about a half hour outside Chapel Hill). They're living on a farm right now, so I had fun visiting the goats, the 20 cats, the geese, the guinea hens, etc. Then I met the TURKEY, Ettore (Hector in Italian). Jake informed me he was very "social" so yeah, if by social you mean follows you around, then he was social. He kept fluffing up his feathers and making this PRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTFFFF sound, very impressive. The thing is, he just had an evil look in his eye. Jake likes him, kinda teases him and plays with him, but I wanted nothing to do with that turkey. He just plain looked like trouble. I couldn't understand it. I don't generally have a problem with animals of the feathered sort. I wondered if somehow I'd had a bad experience with a turkey in my past (at Grandpa's farm), so I investigated. Mom informed me that I had, indeed, had a bad turkey experience. Apparently while at the farm, one particularly aggressive turkey was after Ben, and Uncle Phil kicked it - yes, KICKED it - and it DIED. Oh man, pompom. So I brought this up to Grandpa during our weekly phone call. He said, and I quote, "Oh yeah, I had some mean turkeys up there that would peck you guys a lot." Well no WONDER I didn't like Ettore! I have turkey history!

So Natalie called me this morning and informed me that there had been discussion of the turkey at Steve's this morning. Apparently the murdered animal was not actually a turkey, but a rooster, because, as Grandpa said, if it had been a turkey we would have EATEN it for sure. In the immortal words of Natalie, EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. And you know, I do have issues with roosters as well - I have never run as fast as the day Midge the Rooster chased me around our yard. Paul had a few run-ins with Midge too, in fact, I'm pretty sure he had some nightmares about Midge chasing him.

Bad male bird experience. I'll steer clear of Ettore next time I'm out in Pittsboro.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home