This one's for Grandpa

Monday, June 06, 2005

driving across Ireland

After Killarney we headed up the coast to the Cliffs of Moher - really beautiful and REALLY WINDY!!! and RAIIIIIN. But it was worth it. We found a neat nest of a little hostel and set up our tent in the back yard - then wandered around Doolin before heading to the Burren in the evening. The Burren is this great space of rock formations - I can't describe it, it was basically just milllles of rock in really cool shapes and textures, all along the beach. We really liked walking around and exploring. Yesterday, we hopped up and got on the road - getting lost many a time, inspiring some MAJOR rage - but we made it to Rush, just above Dublin. It was really cool seeing both coasts in one day. Our campground was literally ON THE BEACH - the ocean was the first and last thing we saw. After some Chinese dinner, we hit the sack early...and headed into Dublin this AM. Ready to go hit up some Guinness factory! YES!

1 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest M.E.! Your dad sent me your Ferry email and I thought to myself, "What fun!" I emailed you the words to my dad's two favorite Irish songs in case you need more songs to sing with Irishmen - "Mrs. Murphy's Chowder" and "McSorley's Two Beautiful Twins." If you haven't heard them before (although I can't imagine that!) Mrs. Murphy finds a pair of overalls in her chowder as she is dishing it out to guests which causes mass hysteria! And in the latter, the twins die in the end, but everyone enjoys the christening anyway by consuming 'beer and whiskey the whole blessed night!' Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for your emails and blogs - we old folks can live vicariously through you this way! One of these days I'll get to Ireland... I've only been planning to go for about 30 years! Take care and keep having fun! With love from your first cousin once removed, Mary Higgins Pothen (in MN)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home