This one's for Grandpa

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Men.

Two unbelievable incidents today. The first, while walking in the city with my friend Maura, happened right outside of the Uffizi. We were chatting about our lit class when a clearly foreign, somewhat young man lept into our path, cell phone outstretched. He spoke directly to Maura in heavily accented English. “Do you have a telephone number?” When she didn’t respond, he whined, “but I like you soooooo much…..” We walked by him without a word, but I exclaimed my disbelief to her afterwards. I had heard that she had a lot of trouble with the Italians when out, but this was too much. “Oh, that’s not even the worst,” she said to me. “I once had a guy tell me he wanted to sex me. You just basically have to ignore them.”
Later, as I walked along the Arno to my bus stop, a crowd of Italian ragazzi were walking my direction. Fixing my gaze on a point beyond them, I walked resolutely by. One boy started making comments to me, even grabbing my sleeve as I passed. I tried to step out of their path, but the group stretched across the whole sidewalk. They didn’t bother me after I passed, but I was left a bit unnerved. It reminded me of my incident with an overly-friendly Moroccan man on the bus a few weeks ago, who then felt it necessary to return to my bus stop to find me when I didn’t call him after a few days.
What is it about these men that makes them think this is acceptable? Is it strictly a cultural thing? I have definitely never received comments like these in America, or, not from American men (maybe from Hispanic men while walking in West Chester a few times). How harmless is it? I always thought this kind of thing, while irritating, was fairly harmless, until I found the overly-friendly Moroccan waiting for me at my bus stop. How does he think it is acceptable to try to come back and find me? Didn’t he understand that if I were interested, I would’ve called? I’m sure American men make comments like this, in certain situations, but not as excessively as Europeans. Is this just part of the culture, harmless, just something to adjust to? I feel like it’s a major problem. It makes me really uncomfortable. I’ve been warned about “foreign men” (most strongly by my former Latin teacher, of course) but I really had no idea it was so obnoxious. I understand that this is mainly a cultural thing, but American men will do similar things, in certain situations. Is this a MAN thing, then? Do women behave in similar, blatent behaviors? What IS this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home